Ketogenic Diets and Brain Function

This is very different from how I’m eating, but it might interest people:

http://bigthink.com/21st-century-spirituality/ketogenic-diets-promote-longevity-and-memory

I’m trying low-starch, low-sugar, low-fat, vegan + fish at the moment. I don’t think that I do well with meat and dairy, an currently avoid nightshades, so I don’t know how I would eat a ketogenic diet.

The part about calorie restriction might be closer to my experiments:

The second study also began at 12 months of age. It focused on calorie restriction, which, coupled with carbohydrate restriction, promotes production of ketone bodies. This study also featured the same three dietary guidelines: no carbs, low carbs, and a control group.

They linked to this interesting article on fasting at the bottom:

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/49462/title/Running-on-Empty/

Data have recently emerged from research on several forms of so-called intermittent-fasting regimens, including alternate-day fasting, the so-called 5:2 diet, time-restricted feeding, and periodic fasting (see definitions). Although these regimens vary, they all involve a rhythmic disruption in the typical flow of calories into the metabolic machinery. “This is a simple intervention that has a profound impact,” says Satchidananda Panda, a researcher at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in La Jolla, California, who studies the effects of time-restricted feeding.

Immune System
Periodic fasting reprograms T-cell populations, tamping down autoimmunity and rescuing immunosenescence. A lack of incoming calories appears to prune away autoimmune T cells, and with refeeding, hematopoietic stem cells are activated to replace T cells, lymphocytes, and other white blood cells. Several fasting studies have also pointed to a decrease in inflammatory cytokines.

I’ve experienced incredible results from water fasting. When one of my toes swelled, I stopped eating and it went away quickly. My hip pain is gone and I don’t limp much any more. My next fast begins on Saturday, and I’ll post updates in the blog. I’m not sure if it relates to ketogenic diets, but I go into ketosis within 24 hours of starting a water fast.

This is also interesting, because it looks like how I’m not eating at the moment. :slight_smile:

In a nutshell, a healthy diet based on the PURE results would be rich in fruits, beans, seeds, vegetables, and fats, include dollops of whole grains, and be low in refined carbohydrates and sugars.

I don’t eat a lot of carbs though – the current experiment is salads-based. Huge piles of raw and cooked vegetables, along with some legumes and fish. For seasoning: tahini, olive oil.